Saturday 11 August 2012

Buena Vista Street: Carthay Circle Theatre (Restaurant)

The center point in Buena Vista Street is without a doubt, Carthay Circle Theatre. It is at the end of the street and looks like a church. The top can be seen from almost all over Disney California Adventure.

It is a replica of the original Carthay Circle Theatre where Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs had its world premiere, complete with blue carpet.

Here in Disney California Adventure, though, it is not a theatre but a lavish restaurant complete with bar and lounge that is ready for the stars.

The second level is the dining area and it is just as magnificent, if not more so, then the first floor.

The place setting. There are two 'C's in the middle of the plate.

The menu cover with a painting of the original theatre.

Ceiling with a mural of Snow White's forest.



The food is fine dining and the prices are around $30+ per person, but it is ridiculously delicious and worth every penny. They have menu items that no other theme parks would even dare to have and it is nothing ever seen at Disneyland before.


To drink, they had several specialty drinks and one of them was the rose petal soda. I like the flavour of rose and it was also intriguing so I ordered that. It came with a sugared rose petal, which is a weakness of mine, and the soda itself was light and floral. This is how I described it to my friend who was with me- and frankly, it was the same way she described it- "It tastes like rose, but it's pretty good".

The flavour of the rose wasn't too over powering it was just enough that you know you are drinking rose but it wasn't like you were drinking perfume or soap.



Even the bread and butter before the meal was elegant. Usually they have bread and butter balls but the butter came out in a slice on a small plate so that you tell that it did actually come from a stick of butter. That made me happy even though I couldn't eat the bread.



My friend and I shared the summer strawberry salad and it was amazing. It had mandarin oranges, chicken, jicama, and strawberries with some mixed greens. The only complaint was that for it being a strawberry salad there weren't that many strawberries, but I didn't mind. The chicken was well cooked and shredded, and there was a basic dressing on it but on the bottom of the plate there was this sauce, I don't know what was in it, but it complimented the chicken perfectly.


For the main course, both of us got the quail because it just sounded amazing and I've always wanted to try quail. The plate had two quails stuffed with bacon wrapped apricot with a side of green beans on top of a puree that tasted like cheesy grits but didn't have the texture so I have no clue what the puree was.

The quail was perfectly cooked and the skin was crispy. The sweetness of the apricot and the salty from the bacon helped bring out the tartness that was in the sauce underneath. And since you get two of them you do get your money's worth.

The side of green beans and puree was addicting and heavenly. The green beans were sautéed and cooked through and then there is that puree that I saved for the end because I wanted the best for last. If I could I would eat bowls of that stuff I would.

Overall, I was extremely happy with my experience at the Carthay Circle Theatre. Where I wish I would be able to go in there and watch Snow White, the food definitely made up for it. I will be returning in the future...when I have the money to do so.

-Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment